Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Fig Bars and Christmas Presents

I made some fig bars for someone what we were meeting up with for thanksgiving. My fillings were:

1. dried plums with hazel nuts, and maple syrup.
2. peanut butter and maple syrup or agave
3. dates, raisins, and peanuts
4. blackberry jam


I put them in my ninja blender pulser thing and it worked great. I just spread it down the middle of the dough and folded it over, then i baked it for about 12-15 minutes.

I also wanted to talk about christmas presents from the kitchen that i made. I did herbed rice mix, fig bars, peanut brittle and spiced nuts. For the herbed rice mix, i took dried shiitake mushrooms, rice, and some herbs like garlic, onion powder, parsley, basil and thyme and then when you want to mix it, you take 1 cup of the mix and 2 1/2 cups of water. Boil for 20 minutes and then fluff with a fork salt and pepper to taste. You can get the recipe here. I got all these recipes from spoonfuls or family fun magazine back issues and stuff that i pulled out.
For the spiced nuts, i also used their recipe. You roast your nuts and then you make a glaze, then you make a spice mixture. I absolutely loved their ingredients for both of them. Since i wasn't eating it, i could use full fat (fat makes me break out with acne) and so i just used the full amount of oil. The recipe can be got here.
Enjoy and have fun! These things won't spoil and so they are great if you want to make them ahead. (Don't do the fig bars ahead, they will spoil but the peanut brittle, herbed rice mix and spiced nuts won't.)
I'm going out for a photo shoot and might post more this week, maybe not. Check out my youtube channel! I hope to post more pictures. Here are all my sites to follow me on!

youtube: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVl0T330s4-MVmk6N7P0s6Q
instagram: Thacia stirling
pinterest: http://pinterest.com/thaciastirling/

As i get the sites i will post more links to where you can follow me
Have a great Thanksgiving Day Eve and don't get run over in the supermarket! It's really crowded in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment