Thursday, October 24, 2013

Caramel fails

I made something non vegan for a bake sale fundraiser thing. I used a caramel recipe that had condensed milk instead of the regular heavy cream. I thought it might be healthier. I don't know what went wrong, but it was hard as a rock. I had it come to softball stage but it wasn't right. Something was badly wrong.
So I wrapped them and am giving them away as "now and later" kind of candy. If you don't know what that is, it's fruity
 chewy candy. Well I guess mine will be carmely flavour now and laters. I think I might buy some of the right ingredients and try it again. It's really easy to clean up since you don't take it all the way to the hardball stage. That's complicated to take off a pan. I hate doing that. I have made peanut brittle, toffee, and other candies. This is my first time making caramel though. I do notice that it sticks really bad and burns... hmm. back to the kitchen it is! 

1 comment:

  1. Try with coconut milk... Might be possible. I know you can make dulce de leche with coconut milk...

    ReplyDelete